Have a question, concern or problem regarding your child's behaviors? Send me an email and I will do a blog post about it! You will always remain anonymous! tkmiller81002@yahoo.com

Sunday, February 13, 2011

We survived the past two weeks!

Well we survived my husband's surgery and our life has returned back to normal. My husband is back to work and I am back to blogging and taking care of my amazing kids. One thing I really noticed as my husband was healing was how amazing my kids were at understanding that their needs were not my number one concern but that didn't mean I didn't love them, it just meant I needed to take care of daddy and then them. It also helped to have a great support system of family and friends who could watch my kids for a few hours so I could take care of him and myself. I know my brother in law doesn't realize it, but he did me the greatest service by ditching basketball to help me out, and I was able to take a shower and not have to worry about anything but getting clean. That was huge for me.

Speaking of my kids understanding I have to share a story about my priorities as my husband was healing. On the first day after my husband's surgery my 4 yr old J came in my room and wanted me to turn on a video game for him and get him a drink of milk at the same time my husband needed me to go get him his pain pills and something to eat. As I was walking out of my room with J I was explaining to him that he would have to wait because daddy's needs were my number one priority and his needs were my number two priority. My five year old heard me say that and immediately said, "Well then where am I?" I didn't realize she heard what I said to J so I told her that she obviously was in the living room, and she goes, "No mom, I mean if J is number 2 and D is number 1 what am I?" I then had to explain to her that all my kids were included in my number 2 priority and none of them were more important than the other two. After that they were so good at being patient and waiting until I finished helping T before I helped them.

This week I am going to be focusing on why kids misbehave and for me I have found that if you can truly understand this concept then life as a parent becomes a TON easier, so ask questions and share examples so you can all help each other understand the concept better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete any comment that I feel is offensive to myself or other readers - we are all trying to be the best we can and we must respect each others opinions. You can disagree just don't be rude.