Have a question, concern or problem regarding your child's behaviors? Send me an email and I will do a blog post about it! You will always remain anonymous! tkmiller81002@yahoo.com

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Having a baby!

So Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. I am going to be arriving at the hospital to be induced. There is of course a chance I will go into labor naturally I have been having some pretty awesome contractions in the last little bit, but for now I am planning on Tuesday. So I thought it would be fun for everyone to post their labor stories! If you have had a kid leave a comment and tell me about your labor!

I have had three kids and all 3 were very different.

My first I went into labor at work and was only having back labor so I didn't know I was in labor most of the day, then my boss figured it out and drove me to the hospital - sure enough I was dilated to a 4, completely effaced, and ready to go. I wasn't ready at all, I didn't have a bag packed, the car seat was still in the box, and the security guy was installing our security system at the time. Luckily the security guy had 7 kids so he told T what to pack and he met me at the hospital.

My 2nd was another complete surprise, I was 36 weeks and sitting in Sunday School when I felt a little pop, I quickly booked it to the church bathroom where my water broke! Again, I didn't have a bag packed and so I had to have my in-laws pack my bag and bring it to the hospital.

My 3rd tried to come too early so they put me on terbutaline which is horrible medicine to stop contractions, and I ended up not going into labor at all on my own so they induced me.

3 pregnancies, 3 different labors and 3 different personalities! Here's hoping Natalie's delivery is uncomplicated and quick!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your cute little girl!

    My births have all been fairly easy.

    With #1, I started labor, but my contractions stopped immediately after arriving at the hospital. I was scheduled to be induced the following morning, but they let me stay. My OB said that having the baby that night would work better for him anyway, since he wanted to go fishing the next day. (This was in Utah.)

    Pitocin was started around 5:00 p.m. I was already dilated to a 4 and had been at my doctors appointment the previous day. By 7:30 p.m., they broke my water and the pain got really intense. As a side note, I have a very small pain tolerance. I went to the restroom and by the time I got out, the anesthesiologist was there. We did the epidural and I was so happy. #1 was born at 9:50 p.m. after only a few pushes. I was fortunate to not tear or be cut. I remember that the epidural took away all feeling. In fact, the only way I knew I was pushing was that I could feel the pressure in my face. I could feel nothing.

    #2 started with natural labor on a Sunday morning around 7:30 a.m. We dropped off #1 at my in-laws and headed for the hospital. I immediately asked for the epidural (I was in very little pain), since I was already dilated to a 4. (My body tends to dilate to a 4 by my 36 week point.) There were no rooms available, so I was stuck in triage until about 11:00 a.m. Once I got into a room, they gave me the epidural, then broke my water (I learned an important lesson before). By 2:30 p.m., #2 was born. I could feel a lot more with this epidural. I felt a great deal of pressure and kept asking for more epidural. They told me I couldn’t have any and this is how I learned that things are done differently in Nevada than in Utah.

    My third pregnancy was by far my hardest (so far). Contractions and dilating by 31 (almost 32) weeks put me on bed rest, which is the more horrible torture known to man. I had also had a test done with determined that my water was going to break within the next 2 weeks. I was given steroid shots to help develop the lungs of my baby, and they really hurt. I was in the hospital on bed rest for 2 days, then sent home on bed rest. I contracted (even with medication) throughout the course of my bed rest.

    At 35 weeks, 3 days, my contractions started to be more regular and stronger. We took the older children to my in-laws, then headed for the hospital. Because I was so early, they put me on bed rest at the hospital and debated as to whether or not they’d let me deliver. The next day, my OB did an amniocentesis to determine if the baby’s lungs were developed enough to be delivered. The results showed that his lungs were OK, so they started the Pitocin. They called for the epidural a while later, then broke my water. Within 15 minutes of breaking my water, I was dilated to a 10 (I had been at a 4). 3 pushes later we had #3.

    #4 is kicking and we are hoping that I make it to my 36 week mark, which will be June 1. My OB said that if I make it that far, he’ll be thrilled and do a happy dance. He has also told me that since my body dilates so quickly after breaking my water, that if my water were to ever break on its own, I should call an ambulance and be rushed to the nearest hospital. He said that if we tried to make it there on our own, I would most likely deliver in the car. Needless to say, I’m terrified of my water breaking on its own!


Please be aware that I reserve the right to delete any comment that I feel is offensive to myself or other readers - we are all trying to be the best we can and we must respect each others opinions. You can disagree just don't be rude.